Skype is one of the most widely used application for business and personal conversations. The best thing is that it includes video and audio chat. For those who used Skype for Business purposes must be receiving many important calls. Many time you may think of taking a backup of the video or audio call.
For video call, you need to activate the video call and then after finishing the chat you need to save it. Its ok with it. For audio chat, we have already seen a post where your audio chats are automatically recorded on your PC. Click here to learn on how to automatically record audio chats. But for those who is thinking of saving chat conversations, dont think much. Skype maintains a local copy on your machine.
But after this also an application, how much will you trust on Skype Backup? What if the Skype itself gets crash or affected. Therefore best way to take the backup before you get stuck anywhere in the process.
We will see on how to backup and restore chat history on Skype.
But before going through the process, you need to make sure that Skype settings are active to store the chat history on the local machine. Else, the folder you backup will not carry any data. Here’s how to set it:
1. Open Skype and log in to your account. Navigate to Tools -> Options.
2. From the left pan, select Privacy -> Privacy Settings.
3. In the Keep History For section, select the option Forever from the drop down menu.
Backing Up Skype Chat Conversations:
1. Start your computer and move to the path "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Skype"
Note: Since m using Windows 7, the path is specific to Win 7. Also make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is active in the Folder Option. Here UserName can be name of your Computer.
2. Find a folder which has name same as your account name. In my case my account name "chintan,jain5". Just copy this folder.
3. Place it somewhere safe so that when necessary you can use it.
Restoring Skype Chat Conversations:
1. Navigate to the above mention path.
2. Copy the backup folder and place it there.
That’s it, you have restored the chat history.
This way you can secure you chat conversations. This will help you to read the important chat from the backup.
Rate this posting: